“People, your Lord’s teachings have come to you; they’re a healing balm for the diseases of the heart, and guidance and goodwill for the believers. Say, Its Allah’s grace and kindness, so celebrate since its better than all the wealth they accumulate” (Yunus: 57).
This verse describes the Quran in such a graceful way, it shows us that the Quran:
- Touches the hearts and minds, moves the emotions and the intellect.
- Is a healing balm that rids the reader of moral sicknesses like arrogance, anger, jealousy and greed.
- Is guidance that differentiates between truth and falsehood.
- Is Divine grace that benefits humanity.
If you have a medical condition you seek medical treatment, the Messenger (peace be upon him) said: “there is no illness that doesn’t have a cure.” Today medical science is very advanced and capable of curing many fatal diseases, Alhamdulillah!
So, how do I use the Quran’s healing power? I suggest you use The Majestic Quran to connect with your Lord, the source of all cures. Here I have gathered some spiritual prescriptions. Enjoy using them. The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “there are two healers, one is the Quran and the other is honey” (Ahmad). In another hadith, Abu Huraira reported: The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Allah did not send down any disease but that he also sent down the cure” (Bukhari).
Surah Al Fatiha, the opening surah is recommended for bodily and psychological healing. You may ask how can a reading of a short chapter of the Quran give healing? The answer lies in the fact that all psychological and mental illnesses stem from the attitude and the way we think.
Attitude can lead to anger, arrogance, greed and jealousy and they cause most mental anguish leading to depression. That is why the following of ‘the straight path’ gives healing and the person who prays regularly five times a day and asks Allah to keep him on the straight path will be protected from mental anguish and depression.
When a person says “you alone we worship and from you alone we seek help” the despair and mental anguish will go. By focusing on the everlasting, all-powerful and sustaining Lord, you free yourself from the clutches of the fleeting material world. You get a sense of contentedness and confidence. In this short prayer ‘we worship you alone’ the servant is dedicating him/herself to the Lord. Putting trust and reliance on the Lord.
Here is a list of 7 different Surahs that have been recommended for attaining healing for bodily illnesses and mental depression:
- Surah Al-Fatiha: The Prophet (peace be upon him) named this as the chapter of healing. Khwaja Nizamuddin Auliya explained how to read this surah for healing. He said “read the surah 40 times and each time join the meem of Basmalla to the laam of Alhamdulillah and at the end say Ameen three times.
- Surah An-Nisa: Reading it seven times has been recommended by scholars for overcoming depression, despair and fear.
- Surah Al-Anbiya: Particularly useful to tackle depression, it is recommended that it should be read three times daily and it will create optimism, hope and strong faith.
- Surah Al-Qasas: For protection against infectious diseases, after reading it three times, blow on water in a glass and give it to the patient to drink.
- Surah Luqman: Very useful for treating illnesses.
- Surah At-Tariq: Beneficial for anyone who has ringing ears, tinnitus and piles.
- Surah Al-Asr: Recommended to read it seven times for overcoming negativity, sadness and despair.